Roles: Game Designer, Project Manager, Creative Lead
School project created for Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital using Screenplay technology in one week. We were asked to create a game that a variety of children would be playing in the waiting room of the hospital.
A few challenges to consider were:
- our audience would be of a varying levels of mobility, disabilities, and ages
- no flashing lights, no loud noises, nothing crude
- we had to find methods to reward players that would constantly be moving as well as players in wheelchairs or casts
- play sessions were of an unpredictable length
- we had to find a healthy balance between entertaining and not too entertaining - players would have to be willing to put the game down when they had to
- a request from the client were for there to not be too many annoying sounds as the secretary would be exposed to the game for much longer
We created a lobby game where upon stepping on the Screenplay mat, an island would be summoned on the corresponding area on the screen. Upon staying on the tile, the island would grow to it's largest state before being released. Upon releasing the tile, the island would also be released at whatever size it had grown to. When islands collided with other islands, they would get stuck together to create an even larger island.